Even after you have eliminated fresh or dried vomit from the carpet’s fibers, the stink may remain until you take action. Depending on the circumstances, the stench may remain on the fiber for days or weeks.
The likelihood of the carpet smelling worse increases with the time the vomit remains on it. The bacteria that produce the smell is what makes it worse. Ignoring this problem can give mold spores a food source and lead to mold build-up under the surface.
Therefore, you have to deal with the foul smell as soon as possible before it creates a serious issue in your space.
How To Get Vomit Smell Out of Carpet
You can select various household and commercial cleaning agents to remove the foul vomit smell. Instead of throwing away or replacing the rug, you can use the following effective solution to eliminate the vomit stench.
Start by Addressing the Vomit on the Carpet
It is important to deal with the vomit as soon as possible. When you clean the vomit out of the carpet right away, there is less chance of it seeping into the fibers; this reduces the likelihood of vomit odor lingering around the carpet.
Put on a hard glove to protect your hands from bacteria. Scrape up as much vomit as possible from the carpet and place it in a garbage bag for disposal. If necessary, use a paper towel or a hand towel to pick up any remaining residue.
In the case of dried vomit, it is critical first to scrape the dried vomit and then soften the vomit. Soak a cloth in water and blot the dry vomit to moisten it.
Even after cleaning up the vomit, its odor may linger in the area. To address this issue, use one of the effective and readily available cleaners listed below to remove the vomit odor.
Apply Baking Soda to the Affected Area
Baking is a natural deodorizer that effectively eliminates the vomit smell from the carpet. It is inexpensive and can be easily available in your home. It absorbs foul odors like a weed, urine, vomit, and smoke from the affected area. Additionally, it is safe to use on carpet and does not damage its carpet fibers.
You can either sprinkle baking soda onto the affected area or make a thin paste to eliminate the vomit stench.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda onto the affected area.
- You can let it sit overnight. In that time, baking soda will soak up the smell.
- Vacuum the baking soda residue the next day. Utilize a vacuum that is safe to use on the carpet you have.
You can also apply baking soda paste to the smelly area of the carpet.
- Mix water and baking soda to make a thin paste.
- Coat a thin layer of the paste onto the affected area.
- Let it sit for a day.
- Use a blunt scraper to scrape the baking soda residue.
- You can use a normal vacuum or shop vac to suck up the remaining residue.
You can leave a bowl of baking soda since it can act as a natural room freshener. Alternatively, you can use cornstarch instead of baking soda. It is also effective to remove odor from carpets.
The acetic acid content of vinegar can dislodge the odor from the carpet. Additionally, it helps to disinfect the carpet surface. When you apply the vinegar, its potent smell can linger sometimes. But, it will dissipate after some time. It is also safe to use on fabrics, and you can utilize vinegar spray to remove the smoke smell from clothes and carpets.
- Make a mixture of 2 parts of water and 1 part of vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle. You can add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to overpower the vinegar smell.
- Spray the solution on the affected area.
- Let it sit for 1-2 hours.
- Use a dry cloth to dry the carpet.
Applying Enzymatic Cleaner
Enzymatic cleaners are an effective and safe product to eradicate vomit odor from the carpet. Enzymatic cleaners destroy the odor-causing bacteria by converting them into carbon dioxide and water. You can also use this product on upholstery with a pee smell. You can purchase the enzyme cleaner in grocery or big box stores. It comes in a spray bottle which makes it easy to use. When applying the cleaner to the carpet, it is important to ventilate the area.
- Saturate the affected area with the enzyme cleaner.
- Wet the area and let it sit for 30 minutes or an hour. Leave it for a week if the smell is serious.
- You can reapply the cleaner if the smell still lingers.
Flavorless vodka can eliminate the odor-causing bacteria, thus eliminating the foul smell caused by it. Neat vodka can also remove stains from carpet fibers. Use flavorless vodka without additives for better results.
- Add equal parts of neat vodka and water in a spray bottle. You can also add a few drops of essential oil if you have one.
- Spray the solution and saturate the affected area.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes. Leave it for an hour if the smell is worse.
- Dry the area with a dry cloth.
Using Club Soda
The sodium bicarbonate and potassium content in the club soda can help to neutralize the vomit odor on the carpet. It is an easy and inexpensive household cleaning agent to eliminate pee from upholstery and carpets.
- Apply a small amount of club soda to the affected area.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Blot the saturated area with a paper towel or microfiber towel.
- Let it air dry finally.
Hydrogen Peroxide Approach
The disinfectant property of hydrogen peroxide makes it an effective cleaning solution. It can eliminate germs and bacteria from various stained carpets and upholstery. Additionally, it is Eco-friendly and safe to use. Not only eliminate stains from the carpet, but it can also remove foul smells.
However, it can be harmful when it comes into contact with the eyes. It is recommended to wear hard gloves and safety goggles before starting the cleaning process.
- Mix 3% concentrated hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle.
- Perform a spot test in an inconspicuous area before applying it.
- Spray the solution on the affected area and soak it.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Blot the area using a dry cloth to remove moisture.
Commercial Odor-removing Cleaner
You can use commercial odor-removing cleaners if household cleaning agents do not show effective results. They are available at hardware stores.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of odor-removing cleaner on the affected area.
- Let the product absorb the smell overnight.
- Use a vacuum to suck up the extra residue from the carpet.
Carpet Cleaning Machine (Steam Cleaner)
You can rent or buy a carpet cleaning machine like a steam cleaner to maintain the carpet. The steam emitted by the machine helps to disinfect and eliminate foul smells from the carpet surface. It is not very effective to remove stains from the carpet. It can somehow clean light blemishes.
However, it is not the best method for carpets made of wool. It is best to check the carpet’s manufacturing instructions before trying anything risky on the rug.
- Ventilate the area you are cleaning to avoid moisture build-up. It can prevent the rug from mold build-up.
- Use a vacuum to clear out dirt and debris from the carpet surface.
- Fill the steam cleaner with water and wait a few minutes to heat it. You can add commercial cleaner or vinegar to achieve an effective result.
- Start to steam clean the carpet slowly in the affected area. You can cover a small section of the whole carpet as well.
- Finally, let the carpet air dry. Use a dehumidifier or an industrial fan to speed up the drying process.
There is always an option to get professional help if you do not know how to use a steam cleaner. Hire a licensed expert to address the foul odor in the carpet. They also know about cleaning various stains on the carpet like grease, wine, blood, slime, vomit, urine, and food.
Preventing carpet odor in future
Sometimes, the foul smell can return if you are not careful while maintaining the carpet. It is important to make sure your carpet is free from odor-causing bacteria. Here are some important things to prevent your rug from foul smell.
- Clean your carpet: Maintain your rugs by cleaning them regularly or twice a week. Use a vacuum to suck up dust and debris from the carpet surface.
- Ventilate the space: It is advised to ventilate the room to keep the carpet dry. Mold growth under the carpet might result from moisture accumulation. If mold is not removed immediately, it can pose major health risks. You may breathe the space by opening the door and adding a dehumidifier.
- Address the spills immediately: Accidental food and vomit should be treated as soon as possible. Dried spills can cause an odor that can be hard to eliminate. Therefore, cleaning up spills from carpet fiber is suggested by household cleaning agents.