Fruit flies are one of the most common bugs in the home. They’re small tan insects with bright red eyes. These tiny creatures prefer moist environments and can be found hunting fermented food and leaking drainage.
As a result, if your bathroom has drainage issues or improper trash disposal, you may notice these tiny creatures infesting your space.
They carry a variety of germs and bacteria, despite how small and harmless they appear. Fruit flies are known to pick up bacteria from rotten food and other feces and drop it into fresh foods. On the other hand, the female fruit flies lay eggs in the food, contaminating it. It can cause serious health problems such as diarrhea and food poisoning. Therefore, it is recommended that you get rid of these small flying creatures as soon as possible.
What Attracts Fruit Flies Into the Bathroom
Here are the main things that attract fruit flies into the space, like the bathroom.
- Undisposed trash cans: Fruit flies are attracted to ferment food and other moist waste in the trash can. Worse, it could become a breeding ground for other insects and fruit flies if you don’t get rid of it.
- Wet toothbrush: Fruit flies are attracted to the scent of toothpaste. Another reason the fruit fly hovers in the sink is if you don’t properly clean your toothbrush. Spilling the toothpaste into the sink is also a viable option.
- Moist rags and mops: If you have a habit of leaving wet mops and rags in the bathroom after cleaning it. It would help if you stopped doing it because it is a major attraction for fruit flies.
- Waste drains: When we clear the soggy drain waste, it sometimes sticks to the pipes and does not wash away. Fruit flies are attracted to it and breed there as a result. In a single day, the fruit can lay up to 100 eggs. So, make sure your sink and drain pipes are free of debris.
- Candles and other scented items: You may have caught sight of fruit flies circling scented candles in the bathroom. The fruity smell from incense and candles can tempt the fruit flies.
How To Get Rid of Fruit Flies in Bathroom
Even though fruit flies do not bite, their habit of picking up fungus from rotting food can cause serious health issues. Here are some easy ways to get rid of fruit flies in your bathroom and catch them.
Use Dish Soap and Apple Cider Vinegar To Trap
The apple cider vinegar and dish soap mixture trap is a simple and effective fruit fly trap. Apple cider vinegar sweeteners attract fruit flies trapped inside the bowl. They are hesitant to leave the trap because of the dish soap. Furthermore, these bugs are incapable of escaping the trap. You’ll need a small bowl, vinegar, and dish soap to make this trap. This method can also be useful to trap sugar ants.
- Mix three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, water, and a few drops of dish soap in a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Poke a few holes large enough to fit a fruit fly with a toothpick.
- Place the bowl in the bathroom.
Use Essential Oil As Fruit Flies Repellent
The powerful smell of peppermint, eucalyptus, clove, and lemongrass oil helps to repel the fruit flies. It is a great alternative to harmful chemicals of insecticides. If you have children and pets or are allergic to commercial bug spray, you can use an essential oil spray to stop fruit flies hovering around the bathroom.
- Utilize essential oil available in your space.
- Pour five tablespoons of oil and 1 cup of warm water into a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture directly on the fruit flies.
- Collect the unconscious flies with a broom and dispose of them.
Use a Wine or Beer Bottle To Catch Fruit Flies
Just like humans, flies love the stale smell of beer or wine. Sacrifice a small amount of liquor and trap the fruit flies with it. Place the liquor bottle in the bathroom, where you see fruit flies mostly roam around. The narrow neck of the container makes it impossible to exit. Let the bottle sit around for a day and throw away the liquid or flush them in the toilet.
Using Fly Strips or Fly Stickers
Another easy way to trap the fruit flies is to utilize fly stickers. Purchase fly strips that are easily available in grocery stores, or you can order them online. This trap can not only ambush not only fruit flies but can also get rid of gnats, mosquitoes, houseflies, and other tiny flying creatures. Hang the fly stickers where the flies frequently wander. You can place it near the sink or drain as these areas are moist.
Make a Rubbing Alcohol Spray
Another powerful spray that can terminate fruit flies is using 70% rubbing alcohol. Using this spray is less toxic than insecticide. But, it is better to take protective measures before applying alcohol spray. Use gloves, mask, and ventilate the space before applying the solution.
- Pour 70% rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle. You can use 91% alcohol to terminate eggs of fruit flies in cracks and drains.
- Spray the solution directly on the fruit flies.
- Clean the surface and dispose of them. Or you can flush fruit flies down the toilet.
Use Commercial Bug Killing Spray
There are various insecticides available in stores that can kill fruit flies. Utilize one of these to exterminate fruit flies as well as other bugs. Make sure not to spray it on the kitchen. It is okay to spray it in the bathroom but use a special mask and goggles before applying the spray. Ventilate the space by opening up windows and doors. Spraying insecticides will 100% kill the fruit flies without a doubt. You have to be precautious while doing it.
- Please keep the spray away from the reach of pets and children.
- Do not spray insecticides directly on food.
- Ventilate the space before applying commercial insecticides.
Boil White Vinegar As Drain Cleaner
Even if you get rid of the flies in the bathroom, the sewer and drain in the bathroom can be the breeding space for gnats and fruit flies. If you want to remove all the traces, eliminate the eggs in the drains. You can use hot boiling water or hot vinegar water to abolish them.
- Boil equal parts of vinegar and water.
- Pour the mixture onto the drain pipes.
- Wrap the pipe with duct tape for 24 hours. It will stop the flies from escaping from the pipes.
- You can repeat the process for its efficiency.
Call Exterminator To Terminate Fruit Flies
Suppose any of the above solutions do not show results. You can try calling a professional to handle the infestation. They can terminate any pest like spiders, ants, mice, fruit flies, etc. in no time. It will be expensive, but they can abolish the fruit flies completely without any doubt.
Prevent Fruit Flies From Coming Back Into Your Bathroom
As they say, “prevention is better than cure.” The proverb applies to the infestation of fruit flies in the bathroom. It is smart to prevent fruit flies from creeping into your bathroom before it is too late. Follow the below prevention techniques to control this issue.
- Dispose of the trash cans: Trash cans and recycle bins are one of the main areas where you can detect fruit flies hovering. It is because of rotten foods and moist waste in the bin. Dispose of the trash can frequently to avoid this issue. Also, weekly clean the trash can using warm water and detergent.
- Remove damp clothes and mops: Throw away unnecessary clothes and rags in the bathroom. You can dry them in the sun if you want to reuse them. The same is true for the wet mops; wring them after use and dry them in the sun. Doing this will prevent fruit flies from living in your washroom.
- Clean sink and drain: You must periodically clean the sink, drain and drain pipes if you want to stop breeding fruit flies. Use a long soft-bristled brush to clean the pipes properly. Apply hot vinegar solution for effective cleaning.
- Repair damaged drains: If you notice leaky drain pipes or a damaged sink, repair it as soon as possible. You can take help from expert plumbers if you do not know about repairing.
- Ventilate the bathroom: The moist space like the bathroom must be ventilated properly to avoid bug infestation. Always open the door and windows and dry the bathroom surfaces.
- Dispose of fermented food: Do not keep fermented food in the refrigerator or sinks for a longer period. Fruit flies’ main dish course is the fungus of the fermenting fruits. Dispose or compost them as soon as possible.
- Use screens for your windows: You can install screens specially made to stop fruit flies, mosquitoes, and other creatures from creeping into your household.