It is unpleasant to have a urine scent around your couch, whether caused by your child or your pet. After urine dries on a couch, the residue left behind provides food for the bacteria responsible for odors. This process produces unpleasant-smelling compounds like sulfide and ammonia.
Urine contains uric acid, which can be difficult to get out of a couch if it has gotten into the padding or fibers. If the sofa’s surface is not completely cleansed, the reactivated enzymes in urine may activate once more and cause bad odor. On top of that, pets are drawn to the stink and may urinate on the same area again if the problem is not immediately addressed. Therefore, it is recommended to deal with your couch’s urine smell as soon as possible.
How To Get Pee Smell Out of Couch
Even after cleaning the urine out of the couch, the odor causing bacteria can often dodge the urine treatment, leaving the couch smelling pungent. You can use commercial products and help from professionals to eliminate this issue. But, if you do not want to increase your expenses and risk damaging your couch, stick to household cleaning agents. It is effective to do so too.
Things To Remember Before Starting the Cleaning Process
- Do not mix harsh chemicals like vinegar and hydrogen peroxide together. It can create corrosive acid that can harm skin, eyes, and throat.
- Avoid using steam cleaning on upholstery with a urine smell. The heat can permanently set the odor in the fabric that is tough to eradicate.
- Do not use hot water while removing the smell from the upholstery.
- Always test the product in an inconspicuous area before starting the cleaning procedure. Some chemicals in commercial products can discolor and damage upholstery fabrics.
- Always check the upholstery fabric code before cleaning. The furniture comes in different codes like W, S, W/S, and X with different cleaning rules.
W: Only use water-based cleaners
S: Only use solvent-based cleaners
W/S: You can use both water and solvent-based cleaners
X: Vacuum only; take professional help
Method-Specific Materials and Tools
- Spray bottle
- Microfiber cloth
- White distilled vinegar
- Baking soda
- Essential oil
- Enzyme cleaner
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Dish washing liquid
Wash the Removable Parts of the Couch
In the washing machine, you can wash the removable parts of your upholstery, like cushion covers. It is okay to wash the fabrics with the W code. Avoid using hot or warm water on upholstery fabrics. Add baking soda or enzymatic cleaner to the wash cycle for better results.
- Remove the removable parts of the couch.
- Please put it in the machine and load it.
- When it is filled with water, add 1 cup of baking soda and regular detergent.
- Run a delicate cycle.
- Add enzymatic cleaners if you can still feel the pee smell.
- Dry the fabric as usual.
Apply Vinegar and Dish Washing Liquid on the Smelly Couch
Vinegar is a non-toxic cleaning agent that has various uses. Among its many properties, it also odor removing properties that can be handy to abolish the pee smell from the couch. The acidic feature of vinegar is useful to neutralize bad odor from not only upholstery but also rugs and clothes. This method is okay for only upholstery with W and W/S codes.
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle with 2-3 drops of dish washing liquid.
- Spray and Saturated the affected area with the solution.
- Let it sit for several minutes.
- Wipe it clean with a damp cloth.
- Dry it naturally at last.
Using Baking Soda and Vinegar To Eliminate the Pee Smell
Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that eliminates the smell of almost anything. Unlike other cleaning agents that only mask the bad odor, It helps to absorb it. Baking soda works wonders in eliminating acidic smells like urine odor.
On the other hand, vinegar is a perfect combination with baking soda to eliminate the pee smell. Vinegar has acetic acid that helps to neutralize the odor from couch fibers. Here is how to use it.
- Use a damp microfiber towel and soak as much as urine from the affected surface.
- Mix four parts of warm water with 1 part of vinegar and put in a spray bottle.
- Spray it on the affected area and use a clean rag for surface cleaning.
- Sprinkle the baking soda over the area.
- Let it sit overnight.
- Use a vacuum to remove the baking powder.
You can sprinkle baking soda on the affected area for S code fabric upholstery. Here is how to do it.
- First, use a vacuum to clean up all the couch parts.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the affected area.
- Let it sit for at least a day.
- Finally, vacuum the baking soda powder residue.
Apply Enzymatic Cleaner To Kill Odor-Causing Bacteria
In case the natural household cleaning agents do not show any results. It is better to opt for healthy options like commercial enzymatic cleaners. It is a safe product since it eats the odor-causing bacteria instead of dislodging them. Even Though it takes time to show its results fully, it is one of the most effective solutions to remove pee smell. You can also use it on stained carpets, hard surface floors, and furniture. It mostly comes in a spray bottle that makes it easy to use as well.
- Spray the enzyme cleaner on the smelly area and fully saturate it.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes. You can let it sit for two weeks if the smell is worse.
- Reapply the product if necessary.
Use Hydrogen Peroxide To Eliminate the Pee Odor
Hydrogen peroxide eliminates the lingering smell from only certain types of fabric upholstery. It breaks down the uric acid in the fabric and eliminates the pee odor. Also, It is safe to use on white and washable fabric upholstery. Its environmentally friendly property makes it a perfect substitute for chlorine bleach. However, it is not as harsh as bleach.
Avoid using the peroxide alone; combine baking soda and dish soap for a better result. Before applying it to the couch surface, test the mixture first. Also, do not forget to wear hard gloves and mask before starting the procedure.
- Mix 300 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide, 2-3 drops of dish soap, and three tablespoons of baking soda powder in a spray bottle.
- Shake it well before use.
- Spray the solution in the smelly area and let it sit for an hour.
- Blot the area with a clean damp cloth.
- Let it air dry finally.
Spray Essential Oil Spray To Make Your Smell Refreshing
Essential oils have antibacterial and anti fungal properties that help to wipe out the odor-causing bacteria. Only a few drops of essential oil have proven to eliminate foul smell from room, clothing, rugs, and upholstery. Bergamot, peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree oil, thyme, rosemary, and clove are some of the best antibacterial essential oil. It helps to cover not only urine smell but other odors like weed odor from the house.
You can make a spray cleaner with essential oil and vinegar to eradicate the urine smell from the couch. It is an effective method for all fabric code upholstery.
- Mix 10-20 drops of essential oil with 1 cup vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Shake it well before spraying.
- Spray the solution and saturate the affected area.
- Allow it to sit for 20 minutes.
Get Professional Help
At last, you can take help from professional cleaners if any of the above methods do not show results. On top of that, If you have a fabric couch with code X, it is best to let experts take over the cleaning process. The experts use dry cleaning to remove stains out of solvent-based cleaners. A special chemical-based powder is sprinkled to ensure the stain and smell are permanently eliminated from the couch.
They also use other techniques like carbonating cleaning, chemical cleaning, foam cleaning, and steam heat extraction to clean the upholstery. Experts have the perfect knowledge of what method to code Upholstery fabrics. Therefore, it is best to leave the work to experts in case of a heavy urine smell. Also, you can select different methods according to your budget. It will help your couch to last long.
Preventing Future Urine Accidents on the Couch
Whether the urine accident happened in the rugs or upholstery, it is better to prevent it from happening next time. Here are some solutions you can opt for to ensure it from happening.
- Suppose your pet is relieving itself on the couch once and again. Train your pet to pee in the right places.
- Ventilate your room by opening doors and windows and turning on air conditioning and exhaust fans. The condensed temperature can increase the level of bad odor to maximize.
- Use a plastic cover for couches. It prevents urine from absorbing into the couch fabric.
- Address the urine immediately before it seeps into the fabric.
- Not only for your kids, but you can also use diapers on your pets.