Diesel has a strong sulfur and nitrogen scent because of its high concentrations. It can easily absorb once it clings to the fibers of garments. The smell might linger for several weeks as diesel evaporates more slowly than gasoline.
Diesel is an oily substance, and because water and oil do not mix, it is difficult to remove when washed on water. Also, normal detergent is insufficient to remove the smell and grease from the garments caused by diesel.
Aside from headaches, eyestrain, and nausea, exposure to the smell of diesel can cause numerous other negative effects. The chance of developing asthma, lung conditions, and heart illnesses are among the long-term impacts of diesel scent exposure. So it is advised to get rid of the diesel odor from your hands, clothes, car’s upholstery, and clothing as soon as possible.
How To Get Diesel Smell Out of Clothes
Washing the clothes exposed to diesel in a machine is not enough to eliminate its smell. You can eliminate the diesel smell from clothes using natural household cleaning agents like baking soda, vinegar, and baking soda. You can also utilize club soda and mouthwash lying in your house. But, in case of a stubborn smell, you can opt for commercial cleaning products while following the instructions properly.
Before You Begin
Here are some important things to consider before beginning the cleaning process.
- It is recommended to air dry the diesel-exposed clothes. Using a dryer can sometimes cause fire accidents.
- Never mix ammonia with vinegar. The toxic fumes created by the combination can be harmful to breathe.
- Always follow the fabric manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning the garments.
- Test cleaning agents in an inconspicuous area so they won’t damage the clothes.
- Always launder the diesel-exposed clothes separately from normal ones.
- It is smart to address the diesel stain on clothes as soon as possible.
Pre-Treat the Diesel-Exposed Cloth
You should address the diesel-exposed cloth as soon as possible. Cold water should be used to soak the affected cloth. Scrub your cloth gently with an oil-fighting detergent. There’s a good chance the diesel smell is still lingering on the clothes. It is best to use effective cleaning agents to deep clean your clothes to permanently and quickly remove the diesel smell.
Using Baking Soda and Vinegar
Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that has the properties of neutralizing foul smells from fabrics. It is an inexpensive and effective cleaning agent to remove the diesel smell from clothes. Also, it is safe to use on fabrics. Vinegar’s acetic acid content is useful for eradicating strong odor from fabrics. You can also use it remove pee smell from couch and clothes.
The vinegar and baking soda combination eliminate the diesel stench from clothes. When mixed, it creates carbon dioxide that can help to remove stain and smell from fabrics.
- Position the affected cloth on the surface.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the cloth.
- Spray the diluted vinegar on the cloth.
- Apply it all over the cloth and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking soda residue.
- Put the cloth in the washing machine and wash it as usual.
You can also put the vinegar and baking soda directly into the washing machine. To do so, follow the steps outlined below.
- Turn on the washing machine.
- Add ⅓ cup of vinegar and ⅓ cup of baking soda once the water rises. You can also add regular detergent as usual.
- Repeat the process if the diesel smell still lingers.
Rubbing Alcohol and Baking Soda
You can also combine rubbing alcohol and baking soda to treat the diesel smell in your cloth. Baking soda helps to deodorize the fabric, and alcohol fragments the diesel compounds. Together, they can be an effective combination to eliminate the diesel smell.
- Prepare a container with warm water.
- Add a cup of rubbing alcohol and ½ cup baking soda to the container.
- Soak the affected cloth inside the container.
- Let it sit for 1-2 hours.
- Lastly, wash the cloth as usual and dry it.
Combine Cola Soda and Baking Soda
Cola soda is a natural degreaser that helps to eliminate grease from fabrics. It is also useful to eliminate rust as well. The degreasing property of cola soda helps to eliminate the oily compound of diesel in the clothes. Also, baking soda provides a natural deodorizing property to remove the strong diesel smell.
- Pre-treat the cloth by washing it in a washing machine with mild detergent.
- After washing, as usual, prepare the cloth for the second soak.
- Prepare a container and fill it with 2 liters of cola soda and a 14 oz box of baking soda.
- Soak the affected cloth in the mixture.
- Let it sit overnight.
- Wash the cloth in a general cycle as usual.
Applying Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil has various medicinal and cleaning properties. A natural oil degreaser makes it a perfect solution to remove the diesel smell from clothes. It is safe to use on garments. The potent smell of eucalyptus oil can also deter pests like spiders, ants, and bed bugs. Additionally, its antibacterial properties can disinfect your clothes from harmful bacteria. You can use this method on natural fiber clothes fabrics like cotton. It would be best not to use this method on polyester and rayon.
- Turn on the washing machine.
- When the water fills, add several drops of eucalyptus oil to the machine with mild detergent.
- Run a general cycle as usual.
- Air dry the clothes, and you can notice the smell being gone.
Eliminate Diesel Smell Using Ammonia
The strong smell of fuel can be easily repelled and eliminated from clothing with ammonia. It can remove greasy stains from carpet and clothing, such as diesel.
For a pleasant scent, combine ammonia and dishwashing liquid. However, mixing ammonia with other acidic cleaning products like vinegar and bleach is not advised.
Avoid using this approach on natural materials like wool and silk since it can harm them.
- Place the diesel-exposed cloth in the washing machine.
- Add ½ cup of ammonia and liquid dish detergent in a normal cycle.
- Finally, let the clothes air dry as usual.
Apply Mouthwash on Affected Clothes
Mouthwash is an effective way to eradicate diesel smell or stain from fabrics. It eliminates bacteria and germs from the mouth and can also effectively neutralize the clothes’ smell.
- Prepare a container with water and mouthwash.
- Pre-soak the affected cloth in the container for 30 minutes.
- Put the garment inside the washing machine and run a gentle cycle. You can add a cup of mouthwash for better results.
- Repeat the process if there is still a lingering smell.
Apply Solvent-Based Stain Remover
If the diesel smell is tough to remove, you must select a commercial degreaser or solvent-based stain remover. Solvent-based remover can break down the oily residue of diesel and remove its smell. These products are an effective method to remove diesel and gasoline smell from hands and clothes.
- Pre-treat the affected cloth by applying solvent-based cleaner on the garment.
- Scrub the cloth with a hand or soft-bristled brush.
- Let the stained fabric soak for 15 minutes.
- Finally, launder the cloth as usual and let it air dry.
Ways To Remove Diesel Smell From Hands
While cleaning diesel-exposed garments, its smell can cling to the hands. The smell can linger for a long time if you do not address it on time. Here’s how to eliminate the diesel smell from your hands
- You can use baking soda to wash your hands. Apply a paste made of baking soda and water to your hands. Baking soda has a built-in deodorizing capability that can eliminate the fuel smell from hands. If your skin is dry, it is advised not to use this procedure.
- Vinegar is another effective way to eliminate the diesel smell on your hands. Pour a generous amount of vinegar on your hand and rub it for a few minutes. Its potent smell can overpower the diesel smell.
- You can use mouthwash to neutralize the diesel odor. Like vinegar, wash your hands with mouthwash for a few minutes and rinse your hand with water. If the diesel smell still lingers in your hand, soak it in the mouthwash liquid for several minutes for better results.
- Lemon juice citric acid content can aid in removing the diesel and smoke smell from clothes and hands. Squeeze fresh lemon and put it in a cup. You can rub your hands or soak them with the lemon juice for several minutes.
- Rub your hands with hand sanitizer to remove the diesel smell from your skin for a few minutes. It can also disinfect your hands from germs and bacteria in the process.
- Scrub your palm and fingers with coffee powder to neutralize the diesel odor. Coffee is safe to use on the skin.
- Using salt and detergent also effectively eliminates the diesel smell from hands. Its antiseptic properties can exfoliate your skin and remove the diesel odor. On the other hand, detergent can add an aromatic smell to your skin.
- A few drops of vanilla extract and water solution can also remove your hands’ diesel and gasoline smell.