A sticky kitchen cabinet can be the breeding area of bacteria and germs if you do not clean it frequently.
Grime attracts not only germs but also a number of harmful pests. Ants and cockroaches can infest your space, making your kitchen unsanitary. This can invite a potential threat to the health of your family.
You can avoid the consequences of a messy kitchen with the help of proper practices and precautions.
What Causes Sticky Kitchen Cabinets?
The cause of sticky kitchen cabinets is cooking oil and dirt. When you cook with oil, the vapor gets mixed in with the filth. It turns out to be soggy and will fall into various kitchen corners.
Things To Avoid While Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
You have to keep some important things in mind while cleaning the kitchen cabinet. This will prevent your wood cabinets from getting damaged. It is a good idea to take precautions.
- Avoid soaking the cabinet with water. It will impair the wooden part and can also damage the paint. When cleaning it, spray the cleaning product onto the cabinet. And wipe it thoroughly with a damp cloth.
- Don’t forget to air dry the cabinet completely after cleaning it. Any water or soap residue can harm the hinges and the wood.
- Prevent wooden cabinets from harsh cleaning products. It is better to use mild and nonabrasive products for cleaning the cabinets. As the chemicals can vandalize the polish of the woods.
- Use different cleaning sponges for kitchen jobs. Keep washing the sponges and kitchen rags after every use.
- Remember to wash your hands after cooking or cleaning. You don’t want dust and grease from your hand transferred to the clean cabinets.
Best Ways To Clean the Kitchen Cabinets
If you want your kitchen cabinet to be shiny as new, here are 5 great methods to do that.
Sanitize the Kitchen With Dish Soap
Dish soap can be easily accessed in any household. If you happen to have one in your kitchen. Then it is an easy and best way to clean your kitchen cabinet. It involves sanitizing ability which will help you get rid of viruses and bacteria.
- Dish soap
- Warm Water
- A bowl/ Spray bottle
- Soft damp cloth
- Apply a few drops of dish soap to a bowl of warm water.
- Dip the sponge into the bowl or put the solution in the spray bottle.
- Scrub the cabinet with a sponge in a circular motion
- Rinse the sponge with clean water and keep repeating the process until it becomes clean
- Lastly, wipe the cabinet with a clean dry cloth.
Baking Soda and Lemon Solution as a Natural Degreaser
If your cabinet is built up with grimy grease that does not come off with dish soap. You can try using a baking soda and lemon solution. Lemon juice has a natural cleaning ability to degrease. It is more powerful than dish soap. The bioactive compounds contained in lemon make it an antibacterial agent too. Plus it is not abrasive.
- Baking soda
- Warm water
- Spray bottle/bowl
- Clean dry cloth
- Make a solution of baking soda, warm water and a lemon.
- You can put the solution in a spray bottle or bowl, anything which is accessible.
- Spray the solution and let it sit for a few minutes
- Scrub the grease with a sponge
- Use a dry cloth to clean
- Repeat the process if residue left.
You can mix the baking soda with toothpaste too. Replace the lemon with toothpaste. Follow the same steps as above.
Distilled White Vinegar To Cut Through Grease
White vinegar is the king of the household. As it is best for cleaning purposes and it also does not stain surfaces. Vinegar can cut through grease easily. Vinegar is a non-toxic cleaning solution. That is why it can be utilized to clean sticky kitchen cabinets.
- White vinegar
- Warm water
- Spray bottle
- Soft cloth
- Dilute equal parts of water and vinegar.
- Put the solution into the spray bottle
- Spray the solution into the grimy cabinet.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes
- Wipe the grease away with a damp cloth
Note: Avoid spraying undiluted vinegar onto the cabinet. It can damage the wood finish. Try diluting the vinegar with oil and lemon juice too.
Citrus Oil as a Cleaning Solution
Citrus oil is effective when you need it cut through cabinet grimes. It also acts as an antioxidant.
There is no need to go to stores to buy citrus solutions. You can make it on your own. You will need citrus peels and vinegar to make the solution. After storing the mixture of citrus peels and vinegar for 2-3 weeks. Put the solution in a spray bottle. You got yourself a citrus cleaning solution without spending a dime.
In case, you do not have time to make the citrus solution. Citrus multi-purpose cleaners are available in the stores.
- Citrus oil
- Spray bottle
- Warm water
- Clean damp cloth
- Spray the solution onto the cabinet.
- Let it sit for a few minutes and allow the solution to work its magic.
- Use a sponge to remove the grease.
- Wipe the residue with a damp cloth.
Kitchen Cabinet Cleaning Products
If you do not want to use home-based remedies. Then, you can visit the nearest store and purchase products that can help you cut through tough kitchen cabinet grease.
Here are some recommendations:
- Murphy’s oil soap: Murphy’s oil soap is made of natural ingredients which are used to clean wood furniture and surfaces. It does not need rinsing as it helps not to leave any residue behind. Also leaving a smooth finish on the cabinet.
- Magic eraser: Mr. Clean magic eraser is a product that can help you with not only grease but also other household issues.
- Method all-purpose spray: This product will help you to wipe grimes without hard scrubbing. Also, it is very safe to use any surfaces.
- Magic cabinet and wood cleaner: It is a nonabrasive product that helps you to clean dirt, grease, soil, and other stubborn food stains from furniture. Also, creates a protective layer to save the furniture against grimes and dirt.
- Castille soap: Castille soap is an eco-friendly soap used to clean any surfaces of your house. It is made up of pure olive oil, water, and lye. In the kitchen, it can scrub grimes from your kitchen furniture.
- Goo gone kitchen degreaser: Goo Gone is a powerful foaming cleanser. It is great for cleaning stubborn stains off from oven interiors, stove hoods, and any kitchen itinerary. It is nonabrasive.
How To Avoid Sticky Grease Buildup in Your Kitchen Cabinet
If you want your cabinet to be grime-free, you should clean it regularly. You can use a clean cloth to remove grease marks. Repeat the cleaning process until the grease is gone. There are various degreaser products that you can buy from stores to clean the sticky cabinets if the spots are stubborn. Start cleaning the surfaces of the kitchen regularly. Also, try soaking and cleaning the stove burners frequently.
If you want to avoid the grease sticking to your kitchen cabinet. Cover the cabinet with wax paper, brown paper, aluminum foil, newspaper, and baking paper. Remove the cover after the kitchen work is finished.
How To Shine Kitchen Cabinets
The buildup of dust can make the kitchen cabinets look dull. When you take proper care of it regularly with the correct methods it can look brand new. It is best to use cleaning products to prevent damaging the cabinets.
- Always clean the inside and outside of the cabinet. Deep clean the surfaces of the cabinet every time after cooking. You can use vinegar solution or baking soda solution to wipe the dirt off.
- Wipe the inside of the cabinets every few weeks. The inside of the cabinets is not as dirty as the outside. Don’t ignore the mild dust that accumulates in the cabinets. Use a clean dry cloth to wipe the dust.
- You can try oil soap to remove grease. It is one of the best products for wooden cabinets or any furniture.
- To make the cabinet shine, you can use wax or polish after cleaning. You can use carnauba wax or natural beeswax on painted furniture. You can see an immediate change in the color of your wooden cabinet after applying it.
- Wipe away spilled food and oil right away.
The Bottom Line
Kitchen cabinets endure a lot of cooking accidents and spills. Do a favor to your kitchen cabinets and try to frequently clean them. Build-up grimes, dirt, and grease can cost you another trip to the furniture store.
Instead of buying a whole new kitchen cabinet, try to make the existing one last long. The right care and regular cleaning are a must.
To prevent damage to your cabinet, test the cleaning products first. As the wooden cabinets can get disfigured by abrasive cleaners and tools.
Also, don’t forget to clean other kitchen parts. Only cleaning the cabinets would not make your kitchen hygienic. You can use the above methods to scrub other corners of the kitchen too. Remember to use disinfectants to kill germs and insects and protect yourself from diseases.