When it comes to a healthy diet, air fryer ovens have earned their selling point as it makes crispy foods with less fat than deep frying. It is a piece of conventional equipment that uses minimum oil or no oil at all while frying solid food.
Although air fryers do not use oil to fry food. Fatty ingredients from chicken, bacon or French fries can drip greasy residue inside the fryer. If it is not addressed immediately, grease buildup can taint the taste of your food with a bad odor. Not only that, but caked-on grime can also result in bacteria build-up that can infect your dish and make you sick.
How To Clean Baked on Grease From Air Fryer Oven
When it comes to cleaning the air fryer oven, it is good to stick to non-abrasive solutions. Mild dish soap, baking soda, and diluted vinegar can minimize the grime build-up by decreasing the grease.
Caution To follow
Following are certain things you must be cautious about before cleaning the air fryer oven.
- Unplug the air fryer and cool it down before starting to clean the fryer.
- Read the manual instructions and cautions made by the manufacturer.
- Do not use steel, abrasive sponges, or any metallic scrubs. It can damage the seal coating of the oven.
- Do not place crumb trays, roasting trays, and crumb pans in the dishwasher, the high heat can damage the non-stick surface of some air fryers.
- Do not scrape the grease with sharp tools.
- Do not use abrasive cleaning agents like bleach and ammonia.
Right Tools To Clean Air Fryer Oven
You don’t need fancy equipment to clean your air fryer’s oven. You can just make the given tools below to properly clean it.
- Soft sponge
- Mild dish soap
- Baking soda
- Diluted vinegar
- Microfiber cloth
- A spray bottle
- A Straw cleaner
Cleaning Exterior Part of The Fryer Oven
Not only inside, but grease can also get accumulated outside the oven. While cooking or taking out the cooked food, oil can get splattered on the oven door. If these oil accumulations are not addressed immediately, they can leave a grimy residue that can be filled with bacteria.
It is not a difficult task to wash the exterior area of the fryer oven. You will need dish soap and hot water for this issue. Natural dish soap is a cleaning agent that is used in cleaning almost anything in the household. The same is true while washing the air fryer. Dish soap is a nonabrasive cleaner that does not harm the coated nonsticky surface of the machine.
- Add dish soap and water mixture into a spray bottle.
- Spray it all over the exterior side of the oven.
- Using a clean cloth or a wet sponge, gently scrub until the grease has vanished.
- Clean the soapy residue using a separate clean damp rag.
- Repeat the process until the grease is gone.
- Wipe it down with a soft damp microfiber cloth at last.
Cleaning The Inside Of The Air Fry Oven
The interior part of the oven is the area where most of the grease and oil are accumulated. If the grime is not wiped down after every use, it can get baked on. Also, do not forget to clean the heating element. The stuck food and oil in the heating coil can lead to a bad odor in food.
Only using dish soap and water mixture will not be enough to get these stubborn stains out of the oven. That’s why you have to apply a homemade degreaser to deal with it. Also, utilize a nonabrasive sponge or a toothbrush to thoroughly clean oil splatter and food crumbles from it.
- Unplug the air fryer and let the heat cool down for 30 minutes.
- Separate all the trays inside of the oven and dip them into hot soapy water.
- Mix 3 parts of baking soda and 1 part of water.
- Dip a toothbrush or a soft-bristled brush onto the paste. Apply the paste all over the interior part of the unit with baking soda except the heating element and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Leave the paste overnight if the grease is oily and tough.
- Scrub the grease out of the oven using a sponge or a toothbrush.
- Use a rag to get rid of the granular residue of baking soda.
- At last, let the air fryer dry completely before using it again.
Cleaning The Removable Parts
The removable parts consist of inner trays like broil racks, air fry baskets, sheet pans, roasting trays, and crumb trays. These all parts are equally affected by food grease. You can utilize multi-purpose homemade degreaser of vinegar and water solution to clean the trays. It is a non-toxic cleaning agent when diluted with liquid. You can utilize this solution to clean baking pans as well.
Note: Do not mix baking soda and vinegar. Its acidic reaction can damage the coated layer of the oven.
- Remove the parts once it has cooled down.
- Dip them into hot soapy water for 15 minutes. In case of stubborn grime, let the trays sit overnight in soapy water
- Make a mixture of 50:50 vinegar and water and pour it into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution inside the appliance and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Scrub them using a soft sponge or a toothbrush to remove the grease.
- You can use a straw cleaner in parts where your toothbrush cannot reach.
- Rinse it well under tap water.
- Wipe it clean using a damp clean cloth.
- Dry it as usual.
How Often Should You Clean Your Air Fryer?
The air fryer oven is a convenient cooking tool if you clean your air fryer every time after use. Ignoring fresh grease and letting it pile up over time can make it tough to maintain. The grease is also flammable, there is a good chance it might smoke your kitchen if you avoid it. But, regular cleaning every time after use can help you avoid long-term damage.
For regular maintenance, first of all, turn off the air fryer and let it cool down. Then, wipe the grease using a microfiber cloth or a paper towel. Rinse the trays with clean water afterward.
In case of greasy ketchup or marinating sauce that dries out after cooling. You can carefully wipe it down while it is still hot. This will allow grime to clear off from the air fryer basket.
If you follow the above instructions every time after using your oven you can make the air fryer durable. Added to that, a clean oven consumes less power and energy consumption in comparison to a dirty one.
How To Remove The Grease Smell From Your Air Fryer Oven?
The lingering odor even after cleaning the air fryer oven can taint the food you cook. It can make the taste of the dish very weird and peculiar. The reason behind this issue is the grease. It can leave an unwanted odor that lasts even after rinsing it.
For this matter, you can bring lemon and vinegar into action. Mix 1 part of vinegar, 1 part of the lemon, and 2 parts of water and put it into an oven-safe container. Place the container in the oven and start it for 2 minutes. Safely, take out the container.
This way you can successfully remove the bad odor from the oven and the food as well. The clarity of the flavor is higher when you do so.
Is It Okay to Use Aluminum Foil to Prevent Oil From Dripping Into The Air Fryer Oven?
Yes, it is okay to utilize an aluminum foil in the air fryer but you have to be sure about where to exactly place it. Do not place the foil bottom of the oven where the oil drips. You can put the foil in the tray or pan. But, it has to be tucked in perfectly to fit into the tray. So, the heating elements do not touch it.
Remember not to put the foil in the tray without solid food weighing it down. This can suck the foil from the heating unit and cause serious fire hazards and short circuits.
You can also use baking and parchment paper instead of aluminum foil. Make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions first before placing it into your air fryer oven.