You chose your phone, its color, and its features for a reason. It represents your preference and style. So it’s understandable if you don’t want to hide it behind with an opaque cover. That’s when the clear phone case works as a savior, allowing you to flaunt your phone the way it is while simultaneously protecting it.
However, even a small dot is visible in a clear phone case. Over time you might have noticed how your clear cover has turned into a different color than when it was purchased. Well, that is because it is inundated with all sorts of pocket debris and finger oil causing it to turn yellowish eventually.
The first thing that strikes our mind when we see a tainted cover is to get a new one. But ever thought of cleaning your clear phone case rather than replacing it? Well, if not it’s time you give it a try and make your phone case look brand new.
What Causes Clear Phone Cases to Turn Yellow
No matter how careful you are, a transparent phone cover will turn yellow and dusty with time.
Firstly you need to know that clear phone cases are made up of Silicone– a polymer which is very flexible, affordable, soft and easy to bend. With each passing day the polymer degrades and turns yellow which is a natural process.
But the process of turning yellow increases in a rapid way when the polymer is exposed to heat, chemicals, light, UV radiation, and oil in excessive amounts. Because most clear casings are constructed of silicone or thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), polymers degrade due to oxidation reactions caused by UV light from the sun.
Clear cases do not all turn yellow at the same time. It is dependent on the amount of silicon used to make the case. The more silicon it contains, the more quickly it will be yellow.
Tips on How to Clean a Clear Phone Case That Has Turned Yellow
To avoid the damage go through the steps we have complied below. These are some simple and easily available things that can be used to clean your clear phone case.
Cleaning It With Dish Soap
This is the most easy and frequent used method to clean clear cases. Dish soap and warm water are just two ingredients needed to clean your case for this method. And this method is suitable for cleaning if your cover is just started to show a tad bit of yellow.
- In a lukewarm water, add few drops of dish wash
- Keep your phone case in the solution
- With the help of toothbrush gently rub the phone case
- Dry it with a cloth
- And let it air dry for at least 1-2 hour
Cleaning It With Isopropyl Alcohol
Alcohol has an extreme ability to clean stains effectively. Rub rubbing alcohol on high-touch surfaces like your phone, keyboard, and computer mouse to kill germ as well. This can be the best way to clean your case if Isopropyl Alcohol is available within your reach.
- Soak small part of a cloth in isopropyl alcohol
- Rub the phone case with the cloth
- Once you have finished rubbing it use a clean cloth to dry it
- Let it air dry for at least 1-2 hour
NOTE: Please do remember that you can use Isopropyl alcohol only for silicon clear cases. This can’t be used for any other cases.
Scrub With Baking Soda
Baking soda is a fantastic cleaning agent because it consist alkali. It is used as a household cleaner and is a natural product. Hence the same can be used to clean your phone case.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the phone case
- Scrub the case with a wet toothbrush
- Rinse and dry it with wet clothes
- Let it air dry for some time
Clean With Toothpaste
Most easily available thing in our house and who would have thought this could be used? This too can be used for cleaning
- Spill toothpaste on the case
- Rub it with wet toothpaste
- Repeat it twice or thrice
- Rinse the case off in clean water
- Dry the cover with a clean cloth
- Let it air dry too before you put it back on phone
Clean It With Vinegar
Because of the acid in vinegar, it is particularly good in cleaning as it breaks down grease, filth, and dirt. However be warned that applying pure vinegar can damage some surfaces, so it is mandatory to mix your vinegar with water before using it as a cleaner.
- Take a container
- Add half a cup of vinegar in a water
- Soak it for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse with clean water
- Let it air dry
Cleaning It With Bleach or Hydrogen Peroxide
You should consider this as a last option if nothing else works and you are really into saving that particular case because chemicals can destroy the phone cases. And should be very careful while doing this.
- Add 2 tablespoon of bleach and add water in a container
- Soak the phone case on it for 10-15mins
- Take it out and wash it with clean water
- Let it dry
Things to Consider While Buying a Phone Cover
- Avoid aluminum mobile cases as they can disrupt your phone signal
- Go for covers that are made up of Polycarbonate and TPU if you want to protect your phone from scratches.
- Rubber cases are known best for shock-absorbing. They will help to protect your phone from drops and falls.
Do All Phone Cases Turn Yellow
It depends upon the material they are made of. Most of the clear cases are made up of silicone or poly-carbonate and they both possess a quality which eventually turns yellow when exposed to UV rays
How Long Does It Take for a Clear Case to Turn Yellow
It is hard to tell the exact time because it depends upon how frequently you expose it to UV rays and what the cover is made up of. Normally it is 3-4 months.
How Can Yellowing Be Avoided
There is no way you can avoid yellowing totally as it is a natural process. But giving your case a quick scrub now and then might help to reduce the yellowing process.