Sleep is an important part of our lives. It is often termed as one of the fundamental human rights. A good sleeping habit can help you lead a happy and healthy life. Whereas sleep deprivation might aid in heart problems and mental health issues.
Fear not! You can work on your sleep issues to build a healthy sleeping habit. There are tools available on the market to aid in your good night’s sleep. Among such items is a sleep mask.
A sleep mask can help you help fall into slumber via blocking the light. When your brain registers complete darkness, it produces melatonin-hormone that makes one fall asleep.
Things to Consider Before Buying Sleep Masks
Material: The material of a sleep mask makes all the difference. A comfortable sleep mask is usually made up of silk or cotton. You should check the breathability and lightness of the sleep mask for comfortable wear.
Strap: Look for a sleep mask with an adjustable strap—such strap aids in fitting the mask to our liking. If the strap cannot be customized to our comfort, the sleep mask can be difficult to wear. It can create unbearable pressure around the nose and eye area.
Make sure the strap adjusts well when one changes position. If the belt is not compatible with position change, it may not work for a side sleeper. A good sleep mask should stay put when one changes position.
Eye Area: Eye area is one of the most important aspects of a sleep mask. A good sleeping mask covers the eye but doesn’t touch the cornea. Check if your eyes feel irritable when you wear the mask. If yes, discard the mask immediately.
The aim of the sleep mask should be to block the light and keep the eyes comfortable.
Nose Area: Leaking of light from the nose area is a significant failure among sleep masks. Usually, the mask is made for 100% blockage of light. But, when the product doesn’t fit well on the nose, the light may leak from there.
Test out your mask to see if it fits well in your nose area. Look for a mask designed to provide in the nose area.
Washable: Sleep mask is used for essential parts of our body like eyes, head, and nose. Maintaining the cleanliness of the mask in contact with the crucial body parts is essential. So, look for masks that are hassle-free to wash.
Staining: Sleep masks staining the bedsheets, and pillow cover is another problem. To avoid the issue, one must be careful. Look out for sleep masks that lose color over time. Invest in sleep masks that do not stain in the long run.
Now, you are armed with the knowledge to choose the best sleep mask. We have listed a variety of sleep masks to choose from. Check out the best sleep masks to buy!
MZOO sleep eye mask boasts memory foam. It allows the eyes to blink and doesn’t scratch. The product’s adjustable strap provides comfortable wear. And, it doesn’t strangle the hair. The sleep mask dims the light and helps you ease into your sleep.
Strap : adjustable buckle strap
Selling Point: memory foam, heat bonded technology
- The memory foam adjusts to eyes: prevents the material from touching the eyes.
- Eye mask made up of non-stainable fabric.
- It can be washed thoroughly.
- An adjustable strap helps to achieve the utmost comfort.
- Memory foam may smell at first.
- The memory foam may be deformed during shipment. It might need washing below 40 to retain the original shape.
- Some people complained about only 90% of darkness achieved via wearing the eye mask. The light leaked from the nose area.
- The mask may not be suitable for people with eyelash extensions or longer lashes.
MZOO Sleep Eye Mask is a high quality sleep mask. It caters to your needs for natural sleeping. Buy it for the comfortable eye design and adjustable strap.
Mavogel’s cotton sleep mask wins in the design department. The patented cartilage design helps the product adjust to the nose. The feature helps to block out all the light from the eyes.
The soft cotton triangle design aids in keeping the mask stable throughout the night. The breathable fabric-cotton, elastic sponge, and modaier- provide soft touch for the eyes.
Design : soft cotton triangle design
Fabric: breathable cotton fabric
- The cartilage design provides the option of individual adjustment to the nose. It prevents the light from leaking from the nose area.
- Adjustable strap for a personalized preference.
- The mask stays on the original place after a long night of sleep.
- The eye mask is lightweight and easy to wear.
- The mask is easy to wash.
- Pressure equally distributed throughout the face while wearing Mavogel’s cotton sleep mask.
- The mask case is smaller. Storing in the case may result in losing the personal adjustment made to the mask.
- One may feel sweaty around the eye area while wearing the mask in a non-ac room. People found the mask too hot to handle during the summer months.
Mavogel cotton sleep mask works due to its cartilage design. The product’s adjustable strap around the nose helps eliminate most of the light. Plus, the utmost comfort to eyes is another win of the product.
LKY DIGITAL’s sleep mask boasts a 3D design that allows comfortable space around the eyes. It has adjustable strap-18.5 inches to 27.5 inches- for utmost comfort. The human engineering contouring design is present to block the light.
Design : human engineering contour design
Strap: adjustable strap
- The sleep mask boasts considerable space around the eyes. It can keep your eye makeup intact.
- The adjustable strap work well.
- It is easy to wash.
- A package comes with three pieces of the item.
- The mask may not stay put all night.
- People with narrow nose found light leaking through the nose area.
- The mask may not be suitable for dry eyes.
- It may not be useful for people with eyelash extensions.
Buy LKY DIGITAL Sleep Mask for the 3D design and adjustable strap. Eye space is a significant reason for you to purchase the product.
Bucky 40 Blinks produces one of the most loved eye masks. The product comes with Velcro closure and contoured design.
The ultra-lightweight latex-free molded foam design protects the eye. It also helps in keeping your lash extension intact. It works to keep light out from your eyes.
Design : Ultra-lightweight latex-free molded foam design
Selling Point: Velcro closure, Deep orbital space in the eye area
- Deep orbital space around the eye helps protect the lashes and eyes. Works well for people with eyelash extensions.
- Bucky 40 Blinks eye mask is breathable and lightweight.
- It blocks light well and can be used across day and night.
- The mask can be hand washed.
- The mask may not last long. Consumers complained of a two-month lasting period.
- The elastic may loosen out earlier.
- Some people found the lining irritable.
Buy Bucky 40 Blinks No Pressure Beauty & Travel Eye Masks for their particular focus on the eye area. The mask provides the utmost comfort to the eyes.
Jersey Slumber sleep mask boasts lightweight features. They are made of silk and aim to provide the utmost comfort. The product boasts adjustable soft straps. It can be used for traveling, sleeping at home, or practicing yoga.
Selling Point: lightweight, adjustable soft straps
- The product blocks most light.
- The eye mask can be easily washed.
- It is distributed equal pressure around the eyes.
- The straps are easy to use.
- The product may not last long.
- If the eye mask doesn’t fit well with the nose, the light may leak through the nose.
Jersey Slumber sleep mask provides a relaxing sleeping experience. Make sure to adjust the strap to your liking.
The IMAK Compression Pain Relief Mask claims of soothing the pain of migraine, headache, sinus, and eye pain. It boasts patented stitching design around the eye area. It has elastic straps to keep the mask still throughout the night. It is made up of breathable cotton material.
Design : patented stitching design
Straps: elastic straps
- The sleep mask can be cooled at the refrigerator and used as a pain relief for eye and head.
- Some people found it helpful in relieving the headache.
- It blocks light pretty well when adjusted in the nose area.
- It is easy to clean.
- The sleep mask may not be durable. Some people found the beads started falling out.
- The coolness after freezing doesn’t last long.
The IMAK Compression Pain Relief Mask is a breathable sleep mask suitable for relaxing your eyes and head.
J JIMOO’s Natural Silk Sleep Mask is made up of lightweight silk. The product boast adjustable strap for utmost comfort.
Straps:100% silk, adjustable strap
- The natural silk sleep mask is breathable and comfortable to wear.
- It blocks the light.
- The sleep mask remains steady thought out the night.
- The adjustable strap may create pressure on the eyes.
- The sleep mask may not be useful for a side sleeper.
Buy Natural Silk Sleep Mask for its lightweight feature and 100% silk material.
Manta Sleep Mask boasts an adjustable eye cap for your face shape. The product has a velour-lined strap. Its micro hook and microfleece features don’t pull on your hair. The sleep mask also has ample nose space.
Strap: velour-lined strap
Selling Point: adjustable eye cap, micro hook and microfleece
- The sleep mask has zero pressure around the eyes.
- It doesn’t pull on your hair while sleeping.
- The sleep mask keeps the eye makeup intact.
- The adjustable eye cap may not work for a side sleeper.
- The velour-lined strap may not be durable.
- Some people found the mask bulk and sweat-inducing.
Buy Manta Sleep Mask for the adjustable eye cap and ample nose space.
JEFlex Natural Silk Sleep Mask is made up of mulberry silk. It boasts an adjustable elastic strap.
It is a lightweight sleep mask for everyday use.
Strap: adjustable elastic strap, made from Mulberry silk
- The sleep mask can be washed easily.
- It is light on the eyes and blocks out maximum light.
- The elastic strap may create pressure on the nose.
- The strap runs across the material. People with a sensitive head may not find it comfortable.
- The content may stain bed sheets and pillow cover.
Buy JEFlex Natural Silk Sleep Mask for its lightweight feature and silk material.
Unimi Sleep Mask boasts ergonomics and 3D eye socket design. It is made up of Lycra, with honeycomb ventilation holes. The material makes the sleep mask breathable and soft. The product boasts fine Sewing Technology and ultra-thin elastic straps.
Strap:ultra-thin elastic straps
Selling Point: Lycra, with honeycomb ventilation holes
- The eyes experience zero pressure with the 3D design.
- The sleep mask is soft on the eyes and breathable.
- It is suitable for both side and straight sleepers.
- The product doesn’t come with a traveling case.
Buy Unimi Sleep Mask for 3D eye socket design and ultra-thing elastic straps.
Importance of Sleeping
Adequate sleep is imperative for good health. It is a piece of common knowledge. But, with the variety of distractions- Netflix, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram- available, it can be hard to get the right amount of sleep daily. Plus, you could be working day and night to build your dream career. Or, balancing university life might be hard.
No matter the reason, an adult should strive to sleep at least eight hours a day. We have listed the importance of sleeping to persuade you.
Productivity: Sleep plays a significant part in determining performance in your daily life. Sleeping is healing your body and resting your mind. It is the time when the brain process all the information accumulated throughout the day. And, the body gets a rest from all the daily activity.
Remember? When you pulled an all-nighter, you weren’t able to keep up the next day. It is because your body and mind couldn’t get enough rest to function correctly.
Skin Health: Skin health is another perk of adequate sleeping. Suppose you do not get enough sleep the chances of acne breakout increase. Plus, the puffiness and dark circles under your eye are other results of lack of sleep. You might end up looking tired and sick due to sleep deprivation. Thus, adequate sleep is essential for skin health and appearance.
Mental Health: Our brain is always working throughout the day. The only time it gets a rest is while sleeping. But, when one doesn’t get enough sleep, our brain is continuously working. The constant working of the mind may lead to mental health problems. Sleeplessness is the symptom of people with issues like depression, anxiety, and stress. People with mental health issues often complain of difficulty in sleeping.
Thus, to maintain a healthy lifestyle, one must strive for good sleeping time.
Maintaining Body Weight: A balanced sleeping schedule can help you maintain body weight. A person doesn’t eat anything while sleeping. During the time, s/he is processing all the food consumed throughout the day.
But, when one doesn’t sleep well, s/he needs more food to keep going. And, the body also loses its hormonal balance to process all the food. You could start feeling hungry more as you work additional hours. Sleeplessness has also been linked to the ineffectiveness of hormone insulin. It is used to absorb energy from sugar in our bodies. The improper function of insulin can lead to diabetes.
Also, when one is up all day, s/he needs more energy. Thus, the consumption of food could quickly increase, leading to weight gain.
Growth: Sleep is an essential factor of growth, especially in children and teenagers. People who get adequate sleep at a growing age tend to reach a maximum of their growth potential. Studies have linked sleeping proportional to the greater height of an individual.
Habits of Good Sleeper
You can easily practice effective habits to get an adequate amount of sleep. Some patterns of good sleeper are as follows:
Dinner Time: Make a habit of eating food 2-3 hours before dinner time. The time allows an adequate amount for the food to settle in the stomach. The settling helps in avoiding bloating and aids digestion. A healthy stomach doesn’t bother you while sleeping. Also, the habit can help you maintain or lose weight.
Screen Time: We are all guilty of using our phones all the time. Especially out night time can be a chill time using our phone. But, staring at the light of the screen at a sleeping time can hamper our sleeping schedule. There are two parts to the hampering.
Firstly, we fall asleep in the dark as our eye doesn’t get any light. The lack of light leads to the production of the sleep-inducing hormone, melatonin. But, when we stare at our screens just before our sleeping schedule, it is difficult for our body to produce the hormone. Thus, one finds it hard to fall asleep. Also, screens, be it social media or series, are very addictive, so it can be hard to let got just at the scheduled time.
Secondly, we consume a lot of news via our screen, which leads to thoughts running in our heads. While we try to sleep, the ideas may interrupt our sleep.
To avoid the issues, start a habit of preventing the screen at least one hour before bedtime. You could read up a book or listen to a podcast to fall asleep. You can also listen to music but avoid peppy dance numbers.
Exercise: Any form of physical activity throughout the day can help in sleeping. Include any exercise like walking, running, or swimming of your choice. You may notice developing a healthy sleeping habit afterward.
Room arrangement and accessories: Room arrangement is an essential part of developing a healthy sleep schedule. Make sure your room is free of unnecessary noise. Invest in dark curtains and blinds.
You could also use noise-canceling headphones and a sleep mask to maintain a good night of sleep. If you have a roommate or family, practice respecting each other’s sleep schedule. You could make a no noise policy at such hours.
Meditation: Practicing meditation can help you calm your mind. It is like an exercise of the brain. Take out twenty minutes of your time and introspect. It may be hard at first, try to make it a habit. You should focus your mind on breathing and try to stay calm.
The habit can bring calmness and peace. The result will eventually help in sleeping well.
Sleeping Schedule: Maintaining a sleeping schedule is a great habit of good sleeper. Trying sleeping and waking up at the same time daily. Our body has a circadian cycle that tells us when to sleep and wake up. A rigid schedule can put the period right on track. Some people who have a normal circadian cycle don’t need alarms to wake up. Their body wakes them up as the sleep schedule is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are sleep masks healthy?
Sleep masks do not pose serious health risks. Make sure you buy a good fit for comfortable wear.
How often do I wash my sleep mask?
It depends entirely upon you and the material of the sleep mask. Look for the manufacturer’s instruction of washing. And, it also depends upon your uses of the masks. If you use it daily, wash it every alternate day.
Can I wear a sleep mask while traveling?
Yes, you can wear it while traveling on a plane, bus or car. A sleep mask is designed to aid your comfort no matter the place.
Does sleep mask work?
Most sleep mask tends to help people fall asleep by blocking the light. But, if you have major sleeping problems, it is best to seek professional help.
Find the best sleep masks from the products listed. You can take up our advice on practicing a good sleeping schedule.