What do you love about walkit.com?

Blog

From the blog

What do you love about walkit.com?

Posted 13 November 2008 11:20 by martin

Hi, I'm Tom and I'm working with the walkit.com team to create the next great version of the site.

My favourite thing is knowing exactly how long walking to work will take …

… so I can try to arrive at work on time.

What do you love about walkit.com?

• MySpace
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • Mixx
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter

Comments

1. Pete says:

November 13th, 2008 at 3:58 pm (#)

The low-pollution routes that take me down quiet back-streets of London that I've never seen before.

2. James Braithwaite says:

November 13th, 2008 at 3:58 pm (#)

The calorie count is interesting for me. Maybe a step count too would be a nice idea, I know a lot of people aim for their 10,000 steps a day!

3. Clare says:

November 13th, 2008 at 4:02 pm (#)

I love it because it's there and it's so useful. With so many utterly useless websites around it's brilliant to have one that actually helps people in their daily lives. Plus I love maps. Lastly, I tell all my friends about it. I was in Edinburgh last weekend and was raving about it to a friend who's started walking instead of using her car — I'm sure that would be a great place for you do add to Walkit.com because it's such a walkable city. Thanks for what you're doing and more power to your elbow

4. Vikki says:

November 13th, 2008 at 4:07 pm (#)

The ability to just go on line and see where restaurants are in relation to where I work so that when organising dinners for them I can let them know whether they will need a taxi or what route to walk with clients.

5. Tarkaman says:

November 13th, 2008 at 4:07 pm (#)

I use rail everywhere so walking from rail station to city centres is a must know -better to take 20 minutes out of the smog then 5 minutes in it!
    It would be a nice idea to ad pictures of the route by clicking places shown along the way?

6. Simon K says:

November 13th, 2008 at 4:19 pm (#)

It's great for going out after work – very satisfying getting to the bar before the people who decided to get a cab, and well before the ones who got on a bus.

7. Carol says:

November 13th, 2008 at 4:28 pm (#)

Makes it easy for to get my managers round London – even to find underground stations. Wouldn't be without you now

8. Charlie says:

November 13th, 2008 at 4:31 pm (#)

I find the calorie count bit the most useful too, as it helps me to figure walking into my general fitness/training routine.

The only bit I don't like is being directed across parks/through subways – I often walk at night and would prefer a “streets only” option for safety reasons – that said, the “via” facility means I can usually bypass routes that look a bit murky – and it's a useful addition to planning routes anyway.

9. Nikki says:

November 14th, 2008 at 9:36 am (#)

I like the fact it shows different times for how fast you might walk. Walking to catch a commuter train I walk fast, but it's good to know how long a stroll will take when I've got more time on my hands.

10. Susan says:

November 14th, 2008 at 6:32 pm (#)

Great idea – I walk everywhere I can as it avoids the stress of having to find a parking space or the right change for a meter. It's very helpful to know distances and approximate timings.

But please tell Clare to tell her friends that Edinburgh is already on the site! My only gripe is that the maps do not take into account the inclines of hills – of which there are many in Edinburgh. This means that the estimated times are often inaccurate – from experience I know that it takes me 10 minutes to walk up the hill to town but only 7 to walk back!

11. Jack Kirby says:

November 14th, 2008 at 9:24 pm (#)

I imagine it would be very expensive to licence aerial photography, but the ability to switch to aerial photography from mapping has advantages if you want to see what a route looks like on the ground, how much traffic there is on particular roads, what the landmarks en route are (landmarks are such a key part of traditional directions).

In hilly cities an indication of contours would be really useful on the mapping too!

12. Martyn says:

November 17th, 2008 at 2:03 pm (#)

Finding places I didn't know existed. To know that I can walk to places and be there on time, far better than getting stuck on public transport? It's just a good way of knowing your way around cites better.

13. martin says:

November 17th, 2008 at 7:39 pm (#)

Hi Clare, so glad you're loving the site! As Susan points out walkit.com is already available for Edinburgh (as well as 10 other cities to date):

Please send the link to all your friends!!!

Thanks to everyone for your feedback – it's great for us to know what your favourite features are, and your comments are really helpful in informing our future direction.